Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Tub clogged again, need prevention.

I 'd like to find a way to prevent hair
from going into the drain in the first place.

I had this problem for a while. Even worse since the clog would seat
3/4 of the way across the bathroom on the way to the 4" meaning I'd
have to get out the big snake. I tried those caps but the kids loved
playing with them and they were always missing in action. I remember
those hair traps on those old lever stoppers. If you have a
"conventional" setup this will work. I got a spring from the hardware
store that just fit into the drain. It's pretty big and about 4" long I
attached a loop of solid copper wire onto it so I can hook and retrieve
it. I clean it about every 2 months. A big long nasty smelly mouse of
hair! The women all ohh and awe when I pull it out and unwind it off
the spring. 'Course I add to the drama with rubber gloves and safety
goggles. The only problem is that it corrodes and needs to be stainless
steel but so far no luck in finding that.
I'm the only guy in the house, the rest are females but I have to do the work.
How about dome caps for the females? :-)

Early on I did try that tack but my wife did a CSI on me, pointing out
my thinning hair in the drain. Now I do my "killing the hair mouse"
thing to recover my waning respect.
Richard