Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Don Bowey

Default Rotary Phone Doesn't Ring

On 12/25/05 2:10 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I recently purchased a Northern Telecom G-Type rotary phone from the
70's. It doesn't ring when a call comes in.

I opened it up, but not sure if that is the problem with the magnets or
with the battery that seems to be boosting the signal to power the
ringer.

any ideas?
Anil Panguluri

Here's a couple thoughts:

- What you think is a battery is probably the ringer series capacitor.

- In the 70's 2-party lines had the ring voltage(s) put tip-to-ground for
one customer (tip party), and ring-to-ground for the second customer (ring
party). In that manner, neither party heard the other's ring. Be sure your
bell circuit is not connected to ground, but is across the line's tip and
ring leads. This will be through the switchhook.

Don