Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke

Default For Gunner

"G.W." wrote in message
oups.com...

Hawke wrote:

So your solution to is to let Bush turn the agencies responsible for
national security into a modern day version of the Gestapo? By your

thinking
that's the best answer to terrorism. Just create our own secret police

and
put no constitutional restrictions on what they can do. There's no doubt
they would be effective. Of course, this wouldn't be a free country

anymore.
But hey, who cares, at least we would be safe, right? Oh, wait a minute,
even the Gestapo couldn't stop the French underground from sabotage and
killing Germans. So we'd give up our freedom and would still have the

threat
of Al Qaeda.

Hawke

How did we go from monitoring overseas phone calls to the Gestapo?

The people that see nothing wrong with giving unlimited power to the
government to keep us safe wouldn't see anything wrong with a Gestapo like
agency in this country. As long as we would be safe from terrorists then
there is no limit to what the government can do. That's what the Gestapo
was, a government agency that had no restrictions on it whatsoever. Their
only job was to keep Germany secure. A lot of us see that many of our fellow
citizens would be more than willing to tolerate the same thing right here.
Which is why the Gestapo comes up.

Hawke