Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Thoughts and concerns / design ideas for using a grill on a deck?

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
.net...
I am building a new deck (hopefully myself) and will be using the new
blended (part wood, part plastic) decking material that has been on the
market a few years now. Currently our BBQ grill, which I use every day in
the mild and warm months is out the back door, down the upper & lower deck,
down a small set of steps onto a concrete patio near our garage. Total
distance and steps 40 ft plus 15 stair steps. My wife would like it closer
to the house on the upper deck so she could help with the cooking more
easily. I would like any and all thoughts on this; I wouldn't mind the
shorter walk, but would need to design in safety features to allow safety,
prevent fire and deck damage but still be attractive in appearance. I am
sure someone has approached this challenge before. The current grill which
is very functional is a typical portable propane on a rolling cart ($200
ish). I am not opposed to spending more on a grill if necessary to meet the
long term safety and appearance issues for the deck.

Thanks in advance -- Any and all advice welcome. I am looking for
concerns and ideas regarding both the deck and the grill. Also, how close
to the siding on the home is it reasonable to have the grill?

Good Grief! Do you barbecue like my father-in-law? When he gets out the
charcoal starter, even the dog runs.

But, if you use a propane grill, and keep it at least a few (6) feet away
from everything, it should be okay. I have mine under my patio, and it
doesn't flare up enough to ever discolor the underneath, like a charcoal
grill would. You might consider putting an accessory area with table, sink,
cutting board, dorm fridge, microwave, storage and steel plated area for
Dutch Oven cooking. Not necessarily every one of those things, but those
you use the most. A lot of those things can be seasonal and modular so you
can put them away in your winters. An overhead weather guard in the form of
a small roof is good when you want to cook and the weather doesn't want you
to.

Think ahead. Plan. Do it once, do it right. I, personally would put it on
the outside edge of the deck,as far away from the siding as possible.

Steve