Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Kos

Default Zip drive in Roland VS-840

I'm curious to know - Where'd you end up with this?

I'd guess that the Roland would require a 100 Meg drive if that's what it
came with.

Sadly the Zip drives are inherently unreliable, so a used one is a risky
option. I would maybe search ebay for a NOS 100 Meg unit.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please tell me if a 250MB Zip drive should work
off-the-shelf in a Roland VS-840 audio recording machine in place of
the 100MB drive it came with ?

I live in a remote region where a friend has been using the Roland
VS-840. The 100MB Zip drive died recently (it still works with a drive
from another machine), but I couldn't obtain a replacement, so I
ordered a 250MB drive from another city. The drive came in a sealed
box-pack, but the VS-840 couldn't boot from it.

I connected the drive to my computer. It detects the drive but hangs
whenever it tries to read a disk. So it look as if I got a defective
drive. I contacted the suppliers and they're ready to send a
replacement, but I'm having second thoughts - What if the VS-840 isn't
compatible with a 250MB drive ? I've gone to the Roland website, but
they don't have any contact info.

I know 250MB Zip drives are backwards compatible with 100MB disks, but
the VS-840 is a dedicated machine rather than a general-purpose PC. I'm
a regular customer and have the option of returning the drive (I have
not yet sent the payment). I don't want to waste $80 buying something I
have no use for.

Thanks in advance for any help.