Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Thoughts and concerns / design ideas for using a grill on a deck?

We have some good friends who piped their grill to natural gas and
had it protected under the eave overhang. Something went wrong
and they needed to replace some brick and eave. Due to their
experience, I would not keep it under the eave.

If you are worried about stains on the deck, you might consider a
sheet of Hardie siding (comes in 4x8 and 4x10) under the grill.
If and when it is stained, replace it instead of deck boards.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
.net...
I am building a new deck (hopefully myself) and will be using
the new blended (part wood, part plastic) decking material that
has been on the market a few years now. Currently our BBQ grill,
which I use every day in the mild and warm months is out the back
door, down the upper & lower deck, down a small set of steps onto
a concrete patio near our garage. Total distance and steps 40 ft
plus 15 stair steps. My wife would like it closer to the house on
the upper deck so she could help with the cooking more easily. I
would like any and all thoughts on this; I wouldn't mind the
shorter walk, but would need to design in safety features to
allow safety, prevent fire and deck damage but still be
attractive in appearance. I am sure someone has approached this
challenge before. The current grill which is very functional is a
typical portable propane on a rolling cart ($200 ish). I am not
opposed to spending more on a grill if necessary to meet the long
term safety and appearance issues for the deck.

Thanks in advance -- Any and all advice welcome. I am looking
for concerns and ideas regarding both the deck and the grill.
Also, how close to the siding on the home is it reasonable to
have the grill?