Posted to alt.electronics
Henry

Default Help with IR LED Strobe

"Frank" wrote in message
I have been trying to build an Infrared strobe. I have been able to make

the
diodes flash off and on using a 555 timer circuit. But I can not make them
strobe....I'm missing something here ????
What do I need to do to make the IR diodes STROBE BRIGHTLY not just turn

off
and on ( I use Night vision equipment to see them). I purchased a real IR
Strobe (40 dollars) but its encased and I can't determine how
they made it strobe very brightly with just 3 diodes and a 9v battery. I'm
sure I need to hit the diodes with either a much larger voltage than

normal
or something...
Any help would be great.

thanks
Frank

Although not an electronics answer, there is a simple IR filter that you can
use over a camera flash, and I would guess other strobe. Slide film that has
not been exposed, but has been processed (like that at the end of a roll of
processed slide film) turns out to be mostly opaque to visible light, but
mostly transparent to IR. I have used this techique to trigger slave flash
units when I dont want the trigger flash to add little to no light to the
scene. (As in some special backlighting effects, etc.) I just tape a piece
of film over the flash and use Wein slave flash sensors to trip the other
units. (Old heavy Norman flash units that arent made anymore but still work
great.)

Henry