Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default DIY - Lathe Based 10" Disk Sander

Greg, I can't believe you were that good. Is the coal underneath for
ballast?

TomNie

"Greg G." wrote in message
Arch said:

Hi Greg, That's a very useful sanding set-up. It's less elegant, but
you might want to skip the face plate and thread the disc itself since
you'll need to face it anyway. Adjust the register extension with
washers or a turned filler. A tap made from a bolt slightly undersized
for your spindle with cutting-threads made by filing three length-wise
sharp edged grooves might suffice for threading wood discs to fit your
lathe. Some suggest strengthening the disc's threads with superglue, but
I just moisten them with a little water before use and they stay tight.
Of course, cleaning the spindle after each use is a must. Or better
yet... just do it your way, which you know works for you!

Geez, and here I though I had an original idea.
I guess I should get out more...

As for the wooden threads, with the time I would spend finding a
1"x8TPI bolt, much less modifying it to act as a tap, I could buy the
faceplate. And I'm not too sure I trust threads cut into plywood all
that much. But I may try it next time I need something quick and
dirty.

I didn't have to true the disk. In fact, being that it is plywood, it
probably would have made matters worse. I was concerned that the
seasonal changes in humidity would result in warping with a solid wood
disk. I did sand it slightly to knock off any high spots. It was
just flat, high quality plywood. I checked the runout with a dial
indicator and it was around .0025", which is plenty close for me.

The water trick is cool. I think I first saw Del Stubs use that one
in a bowl turning video. Or maybe it was the first time I used a
water based stain... ;-)

Arch, Merry Christmas to you as well!
SWMBO flew to her folks for the holidays, leaving me here with
numerous pets, tools, and a stack of wood. I didn't want to pry $350
from my wallet enough to go, and don't really care for flying in
commercial jets anyway. Looks like I won't even be getting the
leftovers from dinner. :-|

But Santa already brought my present. Rudolph et al. couldn't get it
into the air, so I picked it up myself. Santa gave me the left half,
and I bought the other... ;-)

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...SantasGift.jpg

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Greg G.