Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Good/Bad Idea

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:46:09 -0500, Eregon wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote in
:

I have several 20-Lb. propane tanks with
the old valves that I can't find anywhere to get them filled.

Use a Magic Marker to write "Cutting Gas" on the upper area of the tanks
THEN get them filled.

[Use for Cutting/Brazing is a loophole in the OPD requirements.]

You know that, I know that, I even tried printing out and showing
them that page of the regulations...

But even with a nice permanent P-Touch label "For Industrial Use
Only" on each bottle (they were properly recertified and stamped a few
years ago) and me in my work shirt with the big silkscreen company
logo, holding the weed-burner torch that I use for warming up cold-mix
patching asphalt in the other hand, and driving a very obvious work
truck with a big stack of ladders on top, I got turned down for
refills at two separate LPG stations.

Dumbth is rampant.

I /might/ be able to find someone in Sun Valley or Downtown L.A. to
do it, but if I have to drive 30 miles or more out of my way every
time I need to refill a few 5 gallon LP cylinders it simply doesn't
make sense. I'll buy a few more of the 7.5 or 10-gallon tanks, those
they'll fill without a fight.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545