Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default Light output of dimmed lamps

In article , Edwin
Pawlowski wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
news:G21rf.1153$OU5.630@clgrps13...
In a related question----
If I leave the dimmer in the lowest position where the light is (looks)
turned off, is it still drawing power?

D.

Mine has a "click" for the off position. Based on the following, I think it
still takes some power when turned down past visible light.

Perhaps someone knows for sure.

If turned down enough that when turning back up, the light suddenly
comes on, then no power was being sent to the light. If the light fades
on in a manner like it faded off (except reverse), then the light probably
was being sent power.

As for how much power a usual dimmer consumes when it is not sending
power to anything: Not zero, but generally a small fraction of a watt.

- Don Klipstein )