Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Default leaving fridge on

wrote:

It turns out my 50 F friend has a Gibson model RT215BCW fridge/freezer, and
Gibson/Electrolux/Frigidaire (800) 599-7569 make a $15 "garage heater kit,"
part number 5303918301 that screws in near the defrost timer in all their
top-freezer products and keeps the fridge working right down to a 20 F room
temp. It uses 120 V. I think it just provides enough constant heat for the
fridge to make sure the compressor runs and the freezer stays frozen.
Less energy-efficient than a freezer thermostat, but simpler.

Some alt.home.repair threads are like ancient Greek "scientists" deciding how
nature works by discussion vs observation. They would sit at a table and ask
"How do porcupines defend themselves?" After enough discussion, they concluded
that porcupines must pull out their quills and throw them at enemies :-)

Nick

That's interesting info Nick. Thanx. The porcupine thing is pretty neat
too Any idea of its origin?
It reminds me of the one where they are amputating frog legs one by one,
measuring how far they hop, and concluding finally that a frog with no
legs is hard of hearing.

hvacrmedic