Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Dan_Musicant

Default Best washing machines for reliability & DIY repairs?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:06:12 -0800, wrote:

:On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:21:22 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Dan_Musicant
wrote:
:
:I've owned one washer and it's a Sears. It's worked so far, a bit over a
:year since I bought it used, but if I were to get another washer there's
:no way in the world I'd buy a top loader. If I were going to buy one now
:I'd find a front loader somewhere, discounted, maybe with a cosmetic
:scratch and/or last year's model.
:
:Dan
:
:
:I bought a used frontloader for about $250.00 the shop honored it's warranty
:when it quit working and because they had trouble finding the problem they ended
:up replacing almost all the components of my machine. Except for the exterior
:and the drum the machine is all new.

When I use my toploader I stand over it with the top open and repeatedly
jam a stick into the laundry to jostle, move the clothes about, assure
good pentration of the sudsy water. It's almost not necessary, possibly,
when I do a small load, less so for a medium load, but seems pretty
necessary for full loads. When the water level is high, the clothes get
almost no movement and the cleaning action is very much reduced unless I
use that stick. I also do an extra rinse. I may still do an extra rinse
when I get a front loader, but it won't be necessary to use that stick
due to the far superior motion achieved by the tumbling of a front
loader. Next one will be front loader, my mind's made up!

Dan