Posted to alt.home.repair

Default calculating costs of a spa

Steve B wrote:

What I WAS saying, and you missed is:

THAT THE AMOUNT OF HEAT LOST DEPENDS ON WHERE THE SPA IS LOCATED ......

That may have been what you thought or said, but what you wrote was:

There is much argument/debate/discussion/hysteria over the
advantages/disadvantages of leaving it on all the time, or leaving it where
it will maintain a constant temperature. That, of course, depends on the
ambient temperature, since a spa inside a house in a "spa" room would not
cool down as quickly or as much as one outside. And then, there's the
balance argument of: which costs more ....... to keep a spa hot, or bring up
the temperature 20 degrees every time I want to use it?

.... which implies that whether a spa uses less energy with or
without a setback depends on the location, which is incorrect.
Setbacks always save energy.

Nick

From Sat Dec 24 13:51:29 EST 2005
Article: 779602 of alt.home.repair
Path: news.misty.com!yellow.newsread.com!news-toy.newsread.com!netaxs.com!newsread.com!newsstand .newsread.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!newsfeed.icl.ne t!newsfeed.fjserv.net!newsfeed.icl.net!proxad.net! 64.233.160.134.MISMATCH!postnews.google.com!news3. google.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.n ntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer01.cox. net!cox.net!p01!fed1read06.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
From: "Steve B"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: calculating costs of a spa
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:20:05 -0800

"Eye144" wrote in message
m...
With electric rates near 12c/kwh(peco philly), My question is how
much it costs to heat up the spa from 70 degrees F to 95' 500 gals

Part 2 would be what does it cost to run the circulating pump system.
It usually gets run 1 hour and it totals 11.5 hp. I've been
thinking about this for a while.
Thanks M

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Spas can be set to all sorts of settings. They can be set to filter for
different amounts of time. They can be set to economy or standard, meaning
that during economy, the heater only comes on during filter cycles. In
standard mode, it comes on whenever the temp goes under the preset.

There is much argument/debate/discussion/hysteria over the
advantages/disadvantages of leaving it on all the time, or leaving it where
it will maintain a constant temperature. That, of course, depends on the
ambient temperature, since a spa inside a house in a "spa" room would not
cool down as quickly or as much as one outside. And then, there's the
balance argument of: which costs more ....... to keep a spa hot, or bring up
the temperature 20 degrees every time I want to use it?

My Catalinas heat up at the rate of five degrees an hour. When I change the
water, I use pool water, as it is generally warmer than tap water, and when
the solar is going on the pool, it is a lot warmer than tap water.

It is impossible to estimate the answer to your question. It is all
intellectual mathematical masturbation.

It is what it is. If you want a spa, you will deal with it.

I love my spas, and spend more time in them than in the pool on a whole year
basis.

A better quality spa will cost less than an El Cheapo from Homer's. They
have better heaters, motors, and piping, which circulates the water better.

If you want one, get one, and fergeddabout the cost. If it makes your
electric bill jump too much, adjust, and then if it is still too much, get a
better job or do other things to increase your income.

Steve