Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Jimmy Carter website

My last response on this to you Fred. I'm tired of your @#$%'ing with
the follow-ups. I'm not playing that game.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:47:31 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On 24 Dec 2005 11:37:07 -0800, wrote:

Note crossposting and followups

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:28:22 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Did you notice that there was never a declaration of war? Easier to get away
with things if you don't have to worry about details like the Geneva
Convention.

Given that the Geneva convention applies to uniformed combatants,

False.

You should read them before commenting on them.

The US has not ratified all of the Geneva conventions which does tend
to complicate the issue as to exactlywhat our obligations are. But a
refusal to regognize some of the convention, or parts of them does NOT
justify saying that the Conventions themselves do not have those
provisions.

Fine Fred, yes the Geneva Convention addresses spies and saboteurs, not
allowing torture, but fully allowing execution of said spies and
saboteurs, they just have to be granted a trial prior to execution. They
are NOT treated as prisoners of war in the same manner as uniformed
regulars.

The US _has_ ratified the Convention prohibiting torture inhuman
treatment
and cruel aand degrading punishment which applies to everyone without
exception, even our own citizens.

Therein lies the problem, we are now extending that "cruel and degrading"
treatment clause to include "making the terrorists uncomfortable".

"Please Mr. Terrorist, we know you are planning an attack, we found parts
of the explosives, the rest are gone. Where are they? Please tell us. Oh,
you're thirsty -- here's a glass of water, is it too warm in here? Please,
tell us where that car bomb is, please. Are you hungry? Is that chair
comfortable enough. Where is that car bomb?"

Bottom line, with thinking like this, we are doomed as a country.