Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Arch

Default Advice needed on buying a used lathe

Hi Andy. Old American iron is fine, but the small Atlas lathes didn't
have much of it. I think some of the small early lathes had 0.5"
spindles, #1 mt tail tapers and manual feed both cross and longitudinal.
For speed/torque, instead of back gears and a jack shaft they used some
sort of epicyclic system that someone else can better explain. Nice
toys or items to collect or restore, but don't buy one for use. I have a
little AA on the shelf myself.

The newer 6" lathes did have power long. feed, backgears, a clutched
countershaft, threading dial and a better carriage and compound rest
assembly, but only manual cross feed and as far as I know never had a
quick change gear box. nor prismatic ways. Mine does have timken roller
bearings. If you are buying a later 6" atlas, be sure it is fully found,
the bed wasn't used as an anvil and it doesn't turn taper. Parts and
repairs for even a little lathe long out of production can get expensive
in time & money.

I agree that a used small Logan, Southbend, Clausing or Sheldon is well
worth looking for, making sure a good machinist looks it over, but
barring that I'd opt for a _new HF or Grizzly. There are lots of helpful
owners doing good work on these machines. Just my shadetreejackleg
opinion worth almost what you are paying for it. Enjoy your new
obsession.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter