Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default repairing stripped threads with JB Weld - where's the bolt??

Emmo wrote:
but, a 1/4" bolt on a tranny? for what? The pan??

_-_-bear

This is a Mopar 46RH auto transmission. The gearshift cable bracket is held
in place with a 5/8" bolt through a cast-in ear, then has a long extension
to keep the bracket located and straight. This is where the 1/4" bolt goes.
A stud would work fine for this, as there is no real force on this end of
the bracket, so thanx to those who suggested it...

They beat me to it, but I was going to suggest taking a 1/4" stud,
bashing one end a little flat so it "swells" a bit at right angles to
the bashing so it's an interference fit in the aluminum, and then
tapping it into that violated hole with some JB Weld around it.

Follow by using an elastic stop nut which you won't have to tighten more
than snug to keep it in place, thus avoiding jacking the stud out. Or,
just put some JB Weld under the nut and do it finger tight, you can
always repeat the process if you ever need to get it off again.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia