Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default I wanted a dremel drill...

Lawrence Milbourn wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news
but not at dremels prices so I bought the aldi one for ?15 it ain't too
bad
for the price.

I was given a dremel as a birthday present and I got quite excited. I am
sure it is going to be really useful, but what will I use it for?

What it can be handy for.
High speed is more appropriate for small drills.
Makes it easy to drill hundreds of pilot holes, while being significantly
lighter than many other options, which can be handy in awkward locations.

Generally, it's very handy for finishing operations, rather than bulk
material removal.

However.

In many cases, because of the samll size, and possibility to get into awkward
corners, you can avoid the difficulties of doing things the conventional way.

For example - rather than using a chisel to tidy up rough edges in a square
hole, the dremel can be used to do this, with a carbide burr on the end.

It may not be faster - but there is no risk of splintering, no shocks while
it's being done, and may well be easier with poor access.

In general, there are few tasks that the dremel is the best tool to use,
if the bit of the workpiece that you want to get to is easily accessible, and
easy to put on the bench.
If it's not, and you'd like to save time by not dissasembling somehting
before working on it, then the dremel may be hugely quicker.

There are exceptions to the 'no big jobs' rul, for example the sanding drums
can be very, very effective on mouldings with caked-on-paint.