Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Dave Plowman (News)

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In article ,
Simon Hobson wrote:
Probably improved in recent years, but I think you'll find that a
significant propertion of commute journeys do not heat the cat up to
working temp at all (especially in town/city driving when low average
power is used). This is in fact a significant factor in the fact that
many cats are totally dead by the first MOT test at 3 years old -
'crap' builds up on the matrix during these short journeys, when the
cat does 'light up' on the occasional hard drive/longer journey then
the crap burns off and causes the matrix to overheat and disintegrate.

My first cat. car (94) was still on the original at 7 years old and
130,000 miles - most of those done by the first owner. I live in London
and have a pretty short journey to work - only about 4 miles. Nor have I
heard of it being common for cats. to fail by the first MOT. My present
car - an auto - stays in second gear at town speeds to speed warm up, then
reverts to normal.

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.