Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

Default Greasy road: beyond diy?

In article , says...
Having just scraped a cyclist off the road on a corner nearby and heard
from a friend that a colleague of his had an identical accident a day or
two ago, I tried to ring the authorities to report a dangerously slippy
road. The Highways Agency said "not our problem: call the local
council"; the local council took details and said "nothing the HA will
do till the 29th; let's cross our fingers". What's the point of having
an emergency line if they can't *do* anything? More to the point, is
there anything I can do, preferably without making myself liable for any
personal damage or death which may result if another cyclist slips there?

Douglas de Lacey

When it comes to highways, I don't think that there is anything that you
can do yourself.

A few years ago, when my youngest was just a few months old, my wife
went to see some friends. Their road had no street lights, and a badly
broken-up pavement. Whilst carrying the baby from the car, she tripped,
and went head-first into the pavement. Fortunately both she and Harry
were fine, apart from severe bruising around the head on her (she had
the presence of mind not to let go of the baby).

I phoned the highways department of the council to talk to someone about
the state of the pavement, and was told that they knew all about this
road and that it was on their emergency action plan, and would be dealt
with in the next 2-3 years! When I argued that it was a severe risk to
life and limb, I was told that there was nothing else they could do in
the meantime, and that if I wanted to sue, they would be happy to give
me the name of their solicitors. I pointed out that I wasn't interested
in suing, at which point the guy sounded quite dissappointed!

True to their word, 2 years later the pavement was re-surfaced, but
still no street lamps - it is in a rural location, and has no other
ambient light, but at least the pavement is level and unbroken!