Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default New light fitting won't switch off

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:22:48 +0000 (UTC), "Clive Dive"
wrote:

| That would require 5 lives
|
| NO IT WOULDN'T...READ IT AGAIN. ASSUMING WE ARE TALING ABOUT THE CABLES
| AT THE CEILING...FORGET THE NEW LIGHT, THAT IS IRRELEVANT.
| THERE MUST BE 3 TWINS AT THE CEILING...PAIR IN [l&n] , PAIR OUT [l&n]
| PAIR
| TO THE SITCH [TWIN RED] THUS 3 PAIRS. COMPRISING 4 REDS AND 2 BLACKS
|
| live in
| live out
| live supply to switch
| live return from switch
| live to lights
|
| The OP said he only had 4.
|
| As a guess this is a spur connection rather than the lights being on a
| ring.
|
| On a ring? never seen that in 30+years! There again, every day is a
| school day.

Sh! I have a light, in the loft, run from a fused spur box off the
ring main.
--
Dave Fawthrop hyphen Hyphenologist.co.uk Register your mobile phone
IMEI *free* on http://www.menduk.org/. Keep the username and password.