Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default New light fitting won't switch off

"mikeyw" wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys,

Just fitted a 3 halogen bulb row spotlight in a bedroom and when the
circuit was put back on the light came straight on - at the wall switch
I tried turning it off but the switch did nothing, the light just
stayed on.

The single light that was in the room before switched on/off fine.

My worry is the cabling is quite old and i've matched it up as follows
(Can you confirm this is fine) :-

2black stands - into neutral
3green/yellow strands - into earth
4red strands - into live.

For a start why on earth are there 4 strands of red !!....anyway i've
just about got them all into the plastic connecter block. The Black and
greens were a little easier.

Does the switch need changing in anyway ? - i'll need to check but I
believe there is a single strand of red cable going into the top (L1)
and then another out the bottom (L2)

I've fitted another of these fittings in another part of the house
where we have new cabling ie (blue, brown and green/yellow) and it
switches on & off fine.

Any ideas on what is causing this and what I need to check ?

TIA,
Mike.

Wasn't there a connecting diagram or an instruction leaflet?
As you said, why 4 reds for 3 lamps? Why are there 3 earths but only 2
neutrals? Intriguing!
If you've had difficulty inserting 4 wires into a constricted terminal
block, you ought to discard it and use a way of the next insulated gauge up.
The ceiling connection you called 'live' is supposed to be the 'switched
live' via the wall switch. The routes for your other colours seem fine.
But it sounds as if the wall switch is not interrupting as it must. Wow! It
should handle two wires using L1 and C, assuming it was not once configured
two-way with somewhere else!
Hope it's fixed in time for Xmas!