Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default DIY-DRO: progress with YADRO - whaddya know!

BEAR wrote:

Geez... fantastic work!

Lots of hours to make this DRO... whew!

Yes, but just for me. I knew that I wanted a DRO. But they were either
to expensive or way to stupid. So I made my own that is extremely
flexible:
I have to mill a cam for a four stroke. So I will write a macro for
YADRO that does the math. I will have an RT on the mill and all I have
to do is rotate the RT to the next step, adjust height and mill a pass.
Rotate, height, pass ... YADRO will prompt me for the next values.

Hate to say it but it might be easier/less expensive to buy a used DRO,
as nice as this project is...

No. Or Yes, if you want. There is no DRO on earth that is flexible like
YADRO. And those who have built YADRO had very little work.

before I found those, what do I see? An "Electronic Digital Caliper"!!

I looked at the display model and found among other things, a little
cover that slid off and covered the same 4 pins as on your unit(s) on ur
website? I thought to myself, "hmmmm... an interface? On a caliper???
Wazzup wit dat?" :- )

That's what they didn't tell you on the package. Funny, but I guess that
all digital calipers have that interface.

The sheet shows a model with the other features you showed (hold, max,
min etc...) on ur pages with extra buttons. This one doesn't have the
extra buttons...

You can add them, if you need/want.

I'm thinkin to myself, what does this readout do for a position sensing
arrangement? I see no gear as in ur typical dial caliper... so the thing
*must* just ride on a smooth surface with a wheel??? Is that *it*?

No, it uses a row of capacitors under the label (on the scales body). I
have peeled off the label for you (I had some cutt-off to do that with)
and made a photo and have put it on my HP just for you (kidding).
You can have a look at he

http://www.motor-manufaktur.de/werkstatt/09_yadro/pics/scale_caps.jpg

What's to stop someone from buying a length of ground stock of the
requisite length and mounting the electronics & mechanical part on
*that*?? Instant long DRO??

Would not work, see above.

Nick
--