Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Home Electrical Circuit (partial) Failure

wrote in message

I've decided to take pop's advice and not to go snooping around in the
circuit breaker box. I guess at this point I better call a professional
electrician...hopefully he'll be able to find the sorce of the trouble
and it doesn't ccost me an arm and a leg. Tomorow's christmas eve, so I
think I better wait until tuesday.

I did not see the original post, but I'm guessing you think there is a loose
connection. You can stick your nose into the breaker box if you do it with
care. The buss bars the breakers are mounted on are very much alive, as are
the terminals above them.

The white or neutral wires are pretty safe. There is a black wire to each
of the breakers. That is hot where it is connected and there is often an
exposed screw.

Note what breaker affects the circuit in question. Remove the cover. Keep
one hand in your pocket. Using a pair of needle nosed pliers with insulated
grip, gently give each wire for that circuit a tug. The black on will be
found on the breaker. Follow that wire up and see where the white from and
where it is connected and then check that. May or may not find your
problem.

Keep in mind, electricity is not going to spill out or jump out at you.
BUT, you may get bit if you stick your hand in the wrong places across two
wires. Use care.