Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Default Are saddle valves replaceable?

Have a saddle valve on some copper pipe that was put there (by prev.
home owner) to provide water to the refrigerator's icemaker. We have a
different fridge with a different size hookup, so I bought a copper
tubing kit to replace the existing plastic line and fittings. The
saddle valve that's in there now leaks (out the tube, not onto the
ground). You turn it off all the way and it still dribbles a bit. Not
a lot- it takes probably 24hrs to nearly fill up a 12oz water bottle
it's in right now. Of course, once I connect it to the fridge the
valve will be open and the icemaker itself will valve the line
open/closed. Problem not solved, but avoided.

The kit that I bought has a new saddle valve in it. Are saddle valves
the type of things where you have one shot at? i.e., if i pull the
saddle valve off the copper pipe, is that section of pipe now ruined
and it will be impossible to get anything to seal up to it now,
including a saddle valve, *even* if it's identical in all sizes and
dimensions?

I'm torn as to whether i should fix it now or leave it until it's
really necessary to fool with it.

TIA!