Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Cavanagh

Default Garage vs Basement Shop?

I'd go for an outside entrance if I were you. With a Bilco door preferably.
It's what I had done and it works for me. Have to say though at my age (73)
I try to get sheet goods ripped in two along the length less awkward and
lighter for this old boy. Think on it anyway.\

Tom Cavanagh
"Hedley" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,

You ever have one of those moments when you wonder how you ever developed
the ability to walk and chew bubble-gum at the same time? You know, one
of those forehead slapping moments when you think, "What a dumbass I am,
why didn't I think of that before?!?!"

I had one of those tonight, and I doubt I'm going to sleep very well
whilst coping with the paradigm shift that an innocent comment from (of
all people) my visiting mother-in-law catapulted me into. She saw me
working on a space-saving mobile bench out in the cold-as-hell third bay
of the garage and said "Why don't you have the shop in the basement?" To
add insult to injury, her daughter agreed, saying "I've always thought it
should be in the basement." Having never even considered this in my new
house, my immediate puffed-up-chest response (it's too hard to take sheet
stock down there) was immediately suppressed by the total sense that it
suddenly seemed to make. I could use just half the unfinished basement for
the shop and have about five times the space as the third bay.

I'm just coming to grips with taking the TS3650 apart and toting it down
there in less than 100 lb chunks, taking down the conduit and electrical I
spent 2 days running to the garage (it's all salvageable), and figuring
out what to do with all that BIG SPACE. I've seen pics in ABPW and other
places of both garage and basement shops, but I have had neither. I don't
really know the pros or cons of either, either.

Can some of you help me out? The basement is not walk-out, but there is a
short, straight shot from an external door to the basement door and a
straight flight of stairs down to the basement. I figure the stairwell is
about 3+ feet wide and there is plenty of headroom. And the basement has
9' ceilings. And it's always about 65-75 degrees.

What are the cons of a basement shop? Aside from toting stuff up and
down, I can't think of any.

As always, I am thankful for your cumulative wisdom.

--Hedley