Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Garage vs Basement Shop? THANKS EVERYONE

Hedley wrote:

I guess I'm a Normite and I didn't think about DC much or air quality at
all.

The basement "seems" dry as a bone. New construction on a well drained lot
in Chi-town. I know the new concrete has water, but as long as no direct
contact, it should be OK.

I'd love an outbuilding that I could use for this, but it's not allowed in
my sub (not that I could afford it right now). Maybe when I retire in
another 28 years (if I don't die at my desk as I fear).

I've thought a lot about carrying the feed and product down and up the
stairwell. At least there is no kink in the strairs (landing). I could
easily get a 4 ft x 20 ft board down there, assuming I could carry it.

Getting the wife involved, or at least trying to, is a great idea. The good
news is that noise should not be a problem except for late at night.
Bedrooms are on the second floor, well away from the area under
consideration for the shop. I'll probably have to "dust" the house a time
or two whilst sanding to get permission for air quality control purchases.

Again, thank you all.

You might want to place a humidity gauge in the basement to verify the
"seems dry" observation.

Dave