Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Advice needed on buying a used lathe

In article , Jon Elson says...

I don't think the 109 can reverse the feed direction - some don't have
any threading capability, but that may be due to broken parts, somebody
just took it all off.

Actually the 109 machines (AA Products, or Dunlap) do indeed have tiny
reversing tumblers for the geartrain, if they are stock.

Of course many of those machines have been modified over their lifetime
and those bits go missing. I also of course agree with the overall
consensus that the 109 machines are nice for learning on, and for
restoration as curiosities, but I wouldn't want to have to do all my
work on one!

Jim

please reply to: