Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Default help with newly acquired lathe

Whoops. Missed that one. Well that is a countershaft all right, though it
doen't look anything like the Seneca speed reducer that came with my Seneca
lathe. Looks like the driver pulley will do the job, though.

Adam

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
ervers.com...
According to Adam Smith :
I didn't make myself clear in the earlier post: range from 20-1200, takes
into consideration both the lathes back gear, and an additional
countershaft
and/or speed reducer. The countershaft will have a cone pulley just like
the
one on the lathe but backwards, so
large drives small, medium drives medium, and small drives large. 20 rpm
would be with speed reduction, belt on small driver large driven pulleys,
and back gears engaged. 1200 would be without back gear engaged, and with
large driving small.

I'll post a picture of the Seneca speed reducer, when I get a chance.

It looks to me as though he already has it -- shown in the photo
referenced below.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/lathe6.jpg

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564