Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Boilers, boilers..

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:05:30 +0000, danw wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Hibbert wrote:

Personally (and I'm not a heating engineer!), I'd say your house would
suit a combi perfectly. We have a 4 bed detatched and we run happily off
a combi with no real problems at all.

The size of the house has little bearing on a combi or not - pretty well
all are large enough to heat them. It's the speed of hot water delivery
that may be a problem for baths, etc.

Thanks for all the replies.

Speed of hot water delivery is not a major problem for me. At present,
the system boiler + tanks provides a very slow delivery of hot water and
it's not really enough to fill our bath.

My assumption is that a combi would take it closer to the cold water
pressure, though I may be wrong here.

It's likely that, once we have a shower fitted, baths will be a rare
occurrence. So, waiting for one to fill wil not be a major problem.

OK. So you'd like to be able to have a good shower. The presenting problem
is that the bath filling rate is poor. (This could be due to a lot of
reasons but a very plausible reason for this age of property is that some
of the bathroom water is being delivered from the roof tank via the HW
cylinder through very badly restricted iron pipes.)

You might find that replacing some of the pipes and possibly adding a pump
serves you better in the medium term than a new boiler. With sensible use
of plastic pipes this job may not be as expensive or as disruptive as you
might imagine.