Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Wall to wall computer desk (2 stations) - ideas?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

David P wrote:

I hate to say it, but MDF could be the thing here....

Aye, was thinking that, but unsure how to finish the MDF surface?,
it's got to be presentable. At least with blockboard you have a
grained
surface that'd take a stain / varnish (or am I thinking of something
else?)

Also, edges would look shoddy after any short time, and planing /
routing a corner would feather the finish.

Would need to be veneered, but unsure how I'd even start with that.

Thanks anyway

You can buy laminate that resembles different patterns of worktops to cover
the top of the MDF.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Hmmm, interesting (and a potential solution) - what is "laminate"?, I
assume several bonded layers of veneer?

If so, then if you don't mind a few questions:-

(1) Easy supplier?, are we talking timber merchants or sheds? (can't
remember seeing any of this stuff in B&Q)

(2) Available sizes?, Ideally looking for a "roll" (it's flexible, isn't
it?) either full length (3600mm) or 2xhalf lengths(2x1800) - I intend to
build the desk in 2 halves for ease of installation / available board sizes.

(3) How to bond to MDF? Presumabley any wood glue?

(4) How flexible? (could it be taken around a 1/2" quarter radius?)

(5) How expensive? (£1/m2, £10/m2, £100m/2?)