Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default material and source for router table top?

jd said:

Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to make a new router table. I've been shopping around
looking at wha the commercial units have for features, and one thing I
really like is the "phenolic" tops. I'm not sure what that *is*, but I'm
assuming its some sort of plastic type resin. so here's the questions:

One point to consider is that regardless of the material, except for
perhaps steel or cast iron, the top is going to have a tendency to sag
over time. Particle board in particular seems to be predisposed to
this tendency. And a chunk of phenolic 24"x36"x1" is going to cost
you pretty dearly, unless you luck up on a surplus/salvage deal.
Generally the table INSERT is made of phenolic, or aluminum, or secret
alloy XZQ. The router is attached to the insert and hung from the
actual router-table top.

With this is mind, irrespective of the material you use, make certain
that it is supported in order to prevent warping/sagging. Whether by
internal panels integral to a router cabinet, or simple angle-steel
sections supporting the insert opening.

Laminated, dual sheets of 3/4" MDF glued together are often used, and
some use a piece of wood with a hold drilled in it as their router
table. I've considered using a glued up assembly of one layer of 3/4"
plywood, one layer of 3/4" MDF, topped with a laminate top. My
current table 2 slabs of 3/4" MDF and laminate. But if you leave a 20
pound router hanging there long enough, they'll all sag eventually
without proper support and sufficient thickness. Phenolic included, as
it is a composite plastic.

These are the shortcomings of many commercially sold "router tables".
They sell you with the flashy, colored do-dads, and leave you with a
sagging top that is unusable, unless you prefer distorted moldings.

FWIW,

Greg G.