Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Default advise on sanding alder panels.

tor,

I think you need to read your own post. "Performax (cheap, weak, small)"
and then you say you want to pay $940 for a rebuilt Woodtek. Do you know why
they're being rebuilt - something probably broke. Have you found any
Performax rebuilt units? I think you're dismissing an excellent quality tool
out of hand probably because the Woodtek states a 3hp motor - but is it
really?

If you're looking for a sander to act as an aggressive planer then you'll
need to look at bigger and better models but for what you want to do, these
units will be still be overkill.

The Performax has a continuous duty 1.5hp TEFC motor and I have run mine for
hours on end with grits from 36 to 220 and have not had a single problem.
Try to get your hands on a couple of different models before you dismiss
them - you just may be pleasantly surprised. Read any good reviews on the
Woodtek or comparisons?

Bob S.

"tor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am seriously looking at the discontinued Woodtek 13" wide belt
sander. While it is not like other wide belt sanders, it is a powerful
sander and 90% of my stock is under 4 ". I would love to run 180 grit
through it. When you folks say that a fine grit would take a very light
touch.... what do you mean? Why?

I am bouncing between the performax 16-32 (cheap, weak, small), the
woodtek (rebuilt at $950, strong, still small) and the woodmaster (not
cheap, very strong, not so small)

All I do is clean up planer marks. Aren't most people wanting the power
for stock removal with coarse grit? I wonder if that performax would
work for hours on end with 150 grit cleaning planer marks. But if power
is useful for me, that woodtek looks like a far better machine for a
hundred bucks more (woodworker supply is willing to part with a few
rebuilt ones for $940 with a full warrantee).

I think I will get one of these before the end of the year.