Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default material and source for router table top?

"jd" wrote in message
Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to make a new router table. I've been shopping around
looking at wha the commercial units have for features, and one thing I
really like is the "phenolic" tops. I'm not sure what that *is*, but I'm
assuming its some sort of plastic type resin. so here's the questions:

what do you folks think of the phenolic tops? especially if you have
one....

and

where can I get phenolic sheets (I'm fiburing probably 3/4 to 1" thick,
and probably about 24x36 or so....)

Basically, a heat set laminated plastic. The first entry oln google supplied
the following: "Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying
heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with
synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper,
cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics.
When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction
(polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting
industrial laminated plastic."

It is great for a lot of workshop uses, jigs, tablesaw inserts, router
tables, etc.

Check a commercial plywood or plastics outlet--let your fingers do the
walking.