Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Aerial Signal Strength

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:16:35 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Stuart Noble
wrote

Some people in our postcode get good freeview reception, and others
don't, so it has to be down to the quality of the aerial

or the tall building just in the line of sight to the transmitter, or
the tree overlooking property, or the.......

Indeed. I moved the aeial round in my loft. attached to a portable TV,
trying all locations and heights till I found a place remote from MOST of
the pipework and tankage...then a bit of directional tweaking gor it
aligned with the transmitter and, using channel 4...found the best position
for THAT one...and a quck check to see if horizontal directors was best (it
was: detectable null at vertical) and robert was a relative.

Trouble is, even if you find the sweet spot for analogue, doesn't mean it
wil be the sweet spot for digitalon different frequencies, especially if
multipath is bad.

Like trees in front etc.

With multipath, a foot or two can take you into or out of a null zone. IME
aerial fitters have neither the time ,the expertise, teh equipment, nor the
incentive, to sort this.

Their stock recommendation will be to extract the most whilst doing the
least That gets to be a ****ing great monstrosity up a very long pole.

And kit that can identify when the signal is good comes expensive..the best
bet is to use analogue TV to set it up, then haul an STB up and see if all
is OK, and if not..shift the aerial around and try again.

Remember lack of reception is not ALWAYS low signal OVERALL strenght. It
can be a local null - especially if one frequency works well and another
does not.

Broken earth leads on cables have the same effect :-)