Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

Default ChristmasTree Won't Drink Water

mstrspy" wrote in message
My tree stopped drinking water yesterday. Anyway i can convince to
tart drinking again without taking it down and re-cutting the trunk
base?

As the tree ages, it realizes it is truly dead, and the capillary suction
slowly stops working. The best way to keep a tree drinking the longest, at
least for the next Christmas, is to buy or cut the tree early in season,
then immediately upon getting home plunge it in a 5 gal. bucket full of
water, after cutting at least a quarter inch off the base with a sharp
pruning saw. And carve a little of the bark off, making a bevel of a quarter
inch up the side, using a sharp utility knife. Keep the base of the tree
under about 9-12 inches of water, for better pressure. For improved
freshness at Xmas, we leave the tree outside, in the bucket, in the shade,
from about Thanksgiving to at least mid december. During this period it will
drink like crazy, then ease off once you get the tree inside, and it is
further stressed by the heat and dryness. In my experience the pills dont
help very much. Once in my life, I had a fresh-cut tree develop small roots
while in the living room. A real will to live, I guess!