Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Power & reliability issues for UV leds

distar97 wrote:
Thanks for all the observations...Some additional comments:

I've worked with LED's since their introduction way back when, but this
little keychain model is my first UV led. It is indeed a true UV,
probably 395nm or so. I didn't get much use out of it, the mom switch
allowed for quick on-off use on some fluorescent items I had laying
around. I don't think it lasted more than 60 seconds in total time. It
was quite bright in the UV with a bit more visible light than a
traditional "black light" tube UV-B source. I wanted it as a small
convenient UV source for quick document checks but just as a little toy
really. (something I can admit to this group)

You might have better luck with a blacklight CCFL, that technology is
pretty robust and the blacklight performance is comparable to a standard
blacklight fluorescent tube.