Posted to rec.woodworking
tor

Default advise on sanding alder panels.

I am seriously looking at the discontinued Woodtek 13" wide belt
sander. While it is not like other wide belt sanders, it is a powerful
sander and 90% of my stock is under 4 ". I would love to run 180 grit
through it. When you folks say that a fine grit would take a very light
touch.... what do you mean? Why?

I am bouncing between the performax 16-32 (cheap, weak, small), the
woodtek (rebuilt at $950, strong, still small) and the woodmaster (not
cheap, very strong, not so small)

All I do is clean up planer marks. Aren't most people wanting the power
for stock removal with coarse grit? I wonder if that performax would
work for hours on end with 150 grit cleaning planer marks. But if power
is useful for me, that woodtek looks like a far better machine for a
hundred bucks more (woodworker supply is willing to part with a few
rebuilt ones for $940 with a full warrantee).

I think I will get one of these before the end of the year.