Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default OT Google buys AOL chunks

On 12/22/2005 8:40 AM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:47:18 -0500, Odinn wrote:
On 12/21/2005 4:04 PM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

Oddly enough, our Linux boxes use exactly the same hardware as the
Windows team's servers, and, well, guess which ones are stable.

Ours do too. The windows servers are just as stable as the linux
servers. Don't get me wrong, I've been a UNIX admin for 20+ years, I
hate windows, but I have to admit, that Win2k3 is pretty damn stable,
especially if it is set up correctly.

Ah. They're working to get to 2K3 "real soon now". We just got NT 4.0
off the desktops.

Saying that UNIX just runs out of the box is bull****. Any GOOD UNIX
admin knows that there is tweaking to do to make a system run properly.

Tweaking? Naah, once you find the recipe, it keeps working.

Same with Windows. We have a golden image we use for all of our OSes,
be it Linux, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Windows, whatever. We don't do
installs, we lay down images. For AIX, I have 4 different images based
on the 4 different apps that we run on them. For Linux, I have 5
different images depending on what it's going to do. Windows, we have 3
different images, Solaris only 2 (one Solaris 9 and the other Solaris
2.7), and way too many HP-UX images (3 different baselines just for the
hardware alone).

If you've never run Oracle on a UNIX server,

I'm really not interested in comparing resumes here, but let's just say
that I'm comfortable with my experience, and making my statements based
on it.

there are approx 20
system tweaks that need to be made to the server from an out of the box
setup.

Yes, once. Well, once for dev, roll it up to QA, and then up to prod.
But you don't have to babysit the damn thing and re-tweak the stack or
whatever else.

I've never babysit any of my systems, Windows or Unix unless I have a
hardware problem. As many times as we go through patching of software
or software upgrades (damn suits always want our apps do something
different, even if it is going back to doing the exact same thing it did
3 versions ago), nothing stays static regardless of the OS it is running on.

Informix has another 20 tweaks that are different (well, some of
the tweaks are the same). Yes, for the most part, UNIX will run right
out of the box, so will Windows, but BOTH need tweaking to get them
right. Anyone that tells you different is an idiot.

You're missing the point. The tweaks you just mentioned are for apps -
with Windows, you have to keep dicking around just to keep ahead of
the OS.

No, I don't keep dicking around with it. Yes, there are a lot patches
for Windows showing up as critical patches, but you would spend just as
much time with Linux if you try to keep up with all the patches for it.
When you are writing and hosting banking software, it doesn't matter
what OS you are running, you have to keep one step ahead of ANY possible
security hole, and that means patching a lot, be it Linux, AIX, Windows,
FreeBSD, whatever.

Windows will run unpatched for long periods of time, just as will Linux,
but I'm not going to trust your bank account to either of them having a
security hole in them.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net