Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default help with newly acquired lathe

1. wondering if there might possibly be somewhere on the web where i
could download a owner/operator manual.

Check with this forum

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ubb=forum;f=11

Also, search on Seneca in this forum and you will see some discussions.

2. if any of you guys know what kind of lathe it is (wondering if it was
specifically designed/manufactured for cutting screw threads, based on the
cryptic numbers on the bronze tag in picture "lathe7") all i can find on it
as to an indication to who manufactured it and/or a "brand" name are the
bronze tag on the headstock, says "The Seneca Falls Mfg. Co. Makers Seneca
Falls, N.Y." (same words cast into the legs) and in the casting on the bed
"Star" (and there's some patent numbers and dates). you can just barely see
the word "Star" in pic "lathe2".

Just what the tag says.

it was kinda rusted tight, i sprayed it all over with WD-40 and worked
the various levers and handles. the tailstock ram handle was so tight i
could hardly turn it. i kept spraying it and working it. i figured if i
turned it far enough the ram would come off the screw and out of the
tailstock. it finally came off the end of the screw but then i couldn't get
it out and couldn't get it threaded back on either! i'm afraid to damage it
by forcing it, so...

Get some real penetrant - Kroil, PB Blaster. Even ATF is a good choice.
Soak it down good before you try to force anything. I know it's hard
to resist. And don't take apart more than one assembly at a time. Get
the tailstock as nice as you can before dismantling the carriage.

4. it has three flat belt step pulleys. i'd like to see if i can
improve upon the system the previous owner put together to transmit power to
the lathe. the motor unit hangs off the back of the lathe and is so heavy
it almost wants to tip the lathe over backwards. i'm hoping i could maybe
put together a simpler, much lighter motor mount/step pulley arrangement,
*and* hang a newer more powerful motor on it, and maybe have the whole
shebang directly over the headstock instead of hanging off the back.

I'd put it together the way it is. That assembly looks pretty factory to
me. If you put it over the HS it will be more dangerous to work around
IMHO. As for the weight hanging off the back, some lathes like this had
a 5th leg to keep it from tipping back.

5. too many questions all at once? if you're still with me, how about
one more? the chart of numbers on the bronze tag, is that for cutting screw
threads? the lathe came with several gears, i'm wondering if that chart
tells which gear to use to get how ever many threads per inch, but, the
gears don't have any corresponding numbers from the chart, they have a code
number cast in them and a number saying how many teeth are on the gear but
as far as i can tell no number that matches up to any numbers on the chart.

(Probably)
First number is threads per inch
2nd number is the tooth count on the spur, or intermediate gear.
3rd number is tooth count for the lead screw gear.

the guys i got the lathe from said, kind of under their breath, that this
lathe is next-to-worthless, wondering if anyone here could confirm that
assessment.

Looks like an antique, but I've seen worse.
I have two nice lathes already, but if this had been ffered to me I'd
have it loaded pretty quick.
I do hope you have it out of the snow by now.

Have fun with your new toy

Rex Burkheimer
No snow in Fort Worth - 70 degrees tomorrow