William G Darby

Default Call me crazy (using hydraulic oil as a flood coolant)

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 22:38:35 -0400, "William G Darby"
wrote:

to get into every crack and cranny. The mess was confined to the 5 gal

can
and it was easily emptied when near to full. All round, a hell of a lot
better experience then having the liquid go into the vac.

Good idea here, I'm going to copy it.

Just a word to the wise: The air vent hole is a little to small to get the
garden hose into. I found that if I just forced my funnel down into it that
the hole easily expanded enough to accept the hose and after a bit the
plastic tries to resume it's original shape (size) and you wind up having a
devil of a time getting the hose back out.

IMHO, oil is great in production machines, especially screw machines.
But I think you're crazy using it for HSM, one of, two of, kind of
work. You'll soon have a light coat of oil over your entire shop which
will attract dust and become grime. Unless you spend forever cleaning
the oil off of everything.

It may seem funny but I do very little one or two of's as I am always
striving for production work and I already have rancid soluble all over
every tool and thing in my shop. Such that I have to wash after touching
"ANYTHING' in the shop. Otherwise I wind up applying "the ointment" (Lamisil
C Cortate 1% AA)

Hydraulic oil could not possibly be worse.. We'll see!

I'd really like to know what you think after using it for a year.

Karl