Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bennett Price

Default Best washing machines for reliability & DIY repairs?

I'd urge you to go to your local public library and take a look at
February '05 Consumer Reports. Perhaps the library has an account at
consumerreports.org where you can look up even more recent ratings.

In Feb 05 they rated Roper most reliable top loader (based on 10K+
reader survey) but didn't evaluate Roper washing machines at all.

Dick Cheney wrote:
I have to buy some washers - one in the next few days, and would like
opinions about what brands are best, not only for reliabilitly but also
for ease and cost of do-it-yourself repairs.

I'm looking for low-mid priced models, nothing fancy, i.e., no
electronic controls or front loaders. I'm familiar only with Whirlpool
belt drive models, although I'm certainly no expert.

I know Whirlpool makes Roper, but Ropers seem to have different
mechanical timers that can turn in only one direction and make a
ratcheting sound when turned manually. This concerns me because the
very old Whirlpool timers were like this and several failed on me
(metal fingers wore, often causing washer to stop mid-cycle), but the
replacements made by Singer, which didn't ratchet, never did.

How good is Whirlpool's direct drive for their top loaders?

How does GE stack up?