Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Default brewing coffee

Jerry Avins wrote:

Sawney Beane wrote:

How about a triple-beam balance? My level tablespoons weigh 6
grams, but I make 8-oz cups, so mine is 75% as strong as Jerry's
and 50% stronger than yours.

It's more than just a matter of taste. It depends also on the choice of
beans.

I use an electronic scale that reads to 20ths of ounces of halves of
grams, up to 5 pounds. I use it frequently when cooking.

I filled a four-ounce measuring cup with coffee scooped from the
can with a tablespoon measurer. Then I was able to compress the
coffee about 15%. I dumped the cup and poured the grounds back into
the cup with a funnel. They came to the same level that they had
with the tablespoon measurer. It seems to me that volume measures
of coffee grounds are consistent unless they are intentionally compressed.

IIRC, flour will compress a lot more than coffee, and no two
methods of filling a cup yield the same density.