Kenneth W. Sterling

Default OT repairing Resistance wire heater in Refrigerator

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:38:28 -0400, aribert wrote:

The mullion (part between the refridge and freezer doors, only way that
I know this part's name is that I looked this part up on line) has been
sweating a lot lately and the existing small rust patch has grown much
larger. WHile removing the part to derust and paint it I discovered a
resistance wire heating element under this trim piece. Ohmed it and
confirmed that the wire lacked continuity. By progressively scraping
off tiny patches of insulation along the wire I discovered the failed
area. How do I splice it. The wire is very small in diameter and it
appears to be wrapped around a fabric core, plastic outer insulator.
THere is not enough wire there to twist together. I'm inclinded to
believe that I can not solder the wire. Would I be able to crimp the
wires? What happens locally when there is a discontinuity in the wire
diameter? Will this end up being a hot spot where the wire is inclined
to break again in the near future?

You state that it has a plastic outer insulator - I would go for
soldering, but first slip a little piece of shrink tubing over the
break, then solder (if possible, clean and "hook" the wires together
for mechanical strength), then slide the shrink tubing over the
soldered area and shrink it down.
Ken.