michael

Default Slotting speed

Steve Worcester wrote:

What's the saw made of?

HSS
How wide is it?

3/16
What are you cutting?

S7 steel, slotting to 3/16" deep

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com
Better Woodturning through Technology
(And a hell of alotta practice)

Vertical or horizontal mill?
Make & model?
Arbor supported at both ends?
Coolant, oil, spray, brush, none?
Solid setup?
About 70 rpm, feed .002-.005 ipt, depending on horsepower and setup conditions.

3/16 stagger tooth, cutting 3/16 deep, correct?
@ 32 teeth &70 rpm 4.5-11 ipm.

Don't get greedy with rpm, don't be shy with feed, or too exuberant. But make
sure you pull a chip. Saws usually tend to run out and cut with a few teeth, if
you keep a load on them they will cut with more of them.

Enjoy yourself.

michael

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Steve Worcester says...

Any idea what speed I should run a 3" slotting saw at? It is a alternate
tooth with side cutting and clearance and I am going 3/16" deep (in

multiple
passes)

What's the saw made of?
How wide is it?