Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike ring

Default Aerial Signal Strength

"jkn" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi Mike

mike ring wrote:

[...]

There are other considerations like sensitivity to impulsive
interference, which I haven't been able to quantify wxcept the Goodmans
GDB4 doesnt have it :-((

Is there supposed to be much difference between STBs/tuners in this
area? I thought that sensitivity to imulse interference was a
characteristic of the DAB modulation scheme (COFDM).

I don't know - I've asked around on alt.tech.digital-tv and not get much in
the line of an answer; If I thought for sure it would not droput sound and
occasionally pixelate (interference is far worse on sound), I'd buy a Sony
tomorrow, but I just can't find out
I also have a GDB4 and the effect of the cooker igniter is very obvious.
Mind you, the last run of cable (from the loft to the socket) is old
cable, not the nice new stuff (FR100?) the guy fitted with the new
aerial. A asked to
coil up an extra few meters in the loft and 'one day soon' I plan to
complete the run to the socket.

I've got all good cable to my box. It's not clear if the interference is
aerial or mains-borne, so I put an aerial filter in and a ferrite on the
power lead - no improvement.

I worked on developing DAB Set Top boxes in the early (OnDigital) days
and have noticed that the modern tuners are a hell of a lot better (as
in: more sensitive) than they used to be.

They certainly are, my philips O/D was pretty useless
No idea if rejection of
impulse interference is better though...

Could never watch a prog long enough to find out...

mike