Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default GMB Union

In article ,
Huge wrote:
There are/were plenty ways around a closed shop.

So that makes them OK, does it?

The old ACTT operated one - called an agency shop. If you had
objections to belonging to a union you simply paid the same dues to a
recognised charity of your choice.

Oh, wow! I can still pay the money and get none of the benefits? Excuse
me while I laugh until I puke.

Err, you get the benefits of the wages and conditions negotiated between
union and employer - same as everyone else. Of course I forgot you don't
believe in taxation either but reckon you can make your own way in
everything.

And at least the possession of a union ticket said you were competent
in that grade.

What on Earth is a trades union doing operating an examination system?

And why not? In the present day some trades unions are the only ones
arranging any training - many firms just rely on poaching trained staff
from others.

But perhaps you'd be happy being operated on by an unqualified doctor

Better that than a strawman.

- or taking advice from an unqualified solicitor, etc? What are those
but closed shops in all but name?

What on Earth have trades associations got to do with professional
competency?

In theory members have to be competent before being allowed to join? Same
as closed shops - trainees aren't full members.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.