Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Travis Jordan

Default Best washing machines for reliability & DIY repairs?

Dick Cheney wrote:
I'm looking for low-mid priced models, nothing fancy, i.e., no
electronic controls or front loaders. I'm familiar only with
Whirlpool belt drive models, although I'm certainly no expert.

I know Whirlpool makes Roper, but Ropers seem to have different
mechanical timers that can turn in only one direction and make a
ratcheting sound when turned manually. This concerns me because the
very old Whirlpool timers were like this and several failed on me
(metal fingers wore, often causing washer to stop mid-cycle), but the
replacements made by Singer, which didn't ratchet, never did.

Roper is the most reliable brand, most likely because their washers are
mechanically simple.

That would be my recommendation, the timers notwithstanding.