Jeff Wisnia

Default OT repairing Resistance wire heater in Refrigerator

aribert wrote:

The mullion (part between the refridge and freezer doors, only way that
I know this part's name is that I looked this part up on line) has been
sweating a lot lately and the existing small rust patch has grown much
larger. WHile removing the part to derust and paint it I discovered a
resistance wire heating element under this trim piece. Ohmed it and
confirmed that the wire lacked continuity. By progressively scraping
off tiny patches of insulation along the wire I discovered the failed
area. How do I splice it. The wire is very small in diameter and it
appears to be wrapped around a fabric core, plastic outer insulator.
THere is not enough wire there to twist together. I'm inclinded to
believe that I can not solder the wire. Would I be able to crimp the
wires? What happens locally when there is a discontinuity in the wire
diameter? Will this end up being a hot spot where the wire is inclined
to break again in the near future?

Depending on how hot it gets, you might be able to use silver loaded
conductive epoxy.

I bought some conductive epoxy to fix a broken motor winding (wound with
aluminum magnet wire wouldjabelieve) in our kitchen microwave over 5 years
ago and it's stiil working fine. Been keeping the rest of that epoxy in the
refrigerator freezer compartment and had to use some last year to fix a
disconnected link in a small solar panel. It worked fine for that too.

Jeff