Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default 3 way light switch dimmers

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:02:08 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

DrDenny wrote:
Can I have a dimmer on each of the 2 switches? On sw1 I have a hot and
2 travlers, sw2 has the 2 travelers and the load(light fixture). I can
only get a dimmer to work at sw1. Do I need a second hot wire a sw2?

Thanks,
Denis

I believe there is an X-10 system that will handle that need. That way
you use one master and the others control the master through the existing
wiring, no need for any travelers.

Try www.smarthome.com

In the X10 system, one of the devices (called "master") replaces one
of the switches. It is wired as a single switch (using one of the
traveler wires). The module has an additional (red) wire which is
connected using the other traveler to a button at the other end.

X10 3-way module

(hot) (blue)|----|(black)
| | |
| | |