Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way light switch dimmers

Can I have a dimmer on each of the 2 switches? On sw1 I have a hot and
2 travlers, sw2 has the 2 travelers and the load(light fixture). I can
only get a dimmer to work at sw1. Do I need a second hot wire a sw2?

For a standard 3-way switch setup I think you can only have one of the
two switches be a dimmer. I cannot recall if this is an NEC thing or
limitation of the hardware. Might have something to do with the fact
that dimmer switches tend to get kind of hot. I recently installed a
dimmer on a three way and l limited the wattage to 390w on a 600w
dimmer. I think NEC allows up to 80% wattage on the dimmer rating and
I'm at 65%. hooray for me